Convention on the Rights of the Child: Recalling its vision, pursuing its mission - Panel discussion with drafters of the Convention
New York, 20 November 2014 - This event brought together some of the members of the drafting group of the CRC to reflect on the ethos of the Convention and the impact its principles and provisions have in today's world. The event also celebrated the Convention’s vision for children and the continuing pursuit of its noble mission.
Watch the vídeo
The Convention on the Rights of the Child is the most widely ratified UN Homan Rights treaty. Proposed by Poland in 1979 – the International Year of the Child – the Convention recognized children's civil, political, social, economic and cultural rights. It brought about a paradigm shift in the way children are envisaged by society; building upon the vision of Janus Korczac, a widely-respected Polish pediatrician and educator, children were no longer people to be, but citizens of today, subjects of rights and agents of change.
Moderated by Marta Santos Pais - Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Violence against Children
• Ambassador Jaime Sergio Cerdá - Argentina
"Right from the start: children’s right to an identity"
• Trond Waage - Former Norwegian Ombuds for children
“Ombuds for children’s rights: Respecting the voice of the child"
• Thomas Hammarberg - Former Member of the Committee on the Rights of the Child
“Best interests of the child: an imperative in every decision”
• Ambassador Anders Ronquist - Sweden
“Protecting children’s rights: a mission at all times”
• Ambassador Marilia Sardenberg - Brazil
"International Cooperation to advance children’s rights”
• Maud De Boer-Buquicchio - UN Special Rapporteur on the Sale of Children, Child Prostitution and Child Pornography
“The Convention on the Rights of the Child and its impact on regional human rights case law"
• Ambassador Ahmed Fathalla - Permanent Representative of League Arab States to UN
“The Convention on the Rights of the Child and its impact in the Arab Region”
• Kirsten Sandberg - Chair of the Committee on the Rights of the ChildRC committee
“Children are people too: the right to submit complaints to the Committee on the Rights of the Child"